Thursday, October 7, 2010

Bailing out a Sinking Financial Boat

I've been struggling since last Dec. with things changing drastically for the worst financially. But we're still trying to stay positive and do all we can to keep moving forward.

We've been scrapping metal, gathering cans, metal junk from around the neighborhood to make a bit extra to help with paying the bills. Unfortunately, my disability money covers very little now. With no increase this year and the costs all going up, it's to be expected.

The mortgage went up almost a hundred due to some escrow imbalance. So far the modification I've been trying to get to reduce the 10.84% APR hasn't gone anywhere. I've been told that this is way too high and that I needed to fight to get it adjusted. I admit, it would be easier to pay the utilities, if the mortgage wasn't so high.

I've been searching Craigslist for gigs, free items and putting ads in to get rid of things. My oven died last Nov. and I've not been able to replace it yet. The stove top still works, but I miss baking for the Holidays. Even though we don't have too much, I've been getting things together to give away to other families in need. Especially with the Holidays coming I've been getting together with some people online to make sure that they have a little something for the kids under the tree.

I've been able to keep going with help from family, friends and being very financially thrifty with what money I get. I make a little over 1K a month in cash IF the child support comes in. Last year I got a dollar for Dec. - which made the month even harder to get through. I've used MyPoints for the last year to get Walmart gift cards with the points I earn to help with cash items that we needed. But it does take a while to get up enough points to redeem those gift cards.

I've been a web/print designer for over a decade. I've done wedding packages, funeral packages, business cards and created websites too. But the economy isn't recovered enough to help me out in that area much now. So I have to find other ways to try and earn some extra money online. It isn't easy. There's a lot of things online that are too good to be true, but are very tempting. So you have to keep on your toes and trust that little voice not to fall for all the hype.

I don't know how things are going to continue on from here. But no matter what happens, my family will keep working at moving forward and staying afloat no matter what. Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to read my posts. 

Carpe Diem!

No comments:

Post a Comment